Evil Twin Red Ale on Deck

On July 6, 2008, in Homebrewing, Recipes, by Mark Ranes

Evil Twin Red Ale LabelTomorrow I’ll be brewing a red ale, Evil Twin Red Ale.  This is an all late hopped ale, with all the hops added in the last 20 minutes of a ninety minute boil, so the hop flavor and aroma should be pretty intense.  This is Jamil Zainasheff’s Evil Twin Red ale.  I had to sub in eleven pounds of Golden Promise as I only had eleven pounds Marris Otter, but it should be pretty close to Jamil’s ale. This ale is based on AleSmith’s seasonal Evil Dead Red Ale.

I’ll be getting up early (at least for me:) to light the burners and get this brew off the ground early, as the temperatures are projected to be right at 100 over 104 degrees tomorrow here in the valley…

Here are the recipe particulars:

Evil Twin Red
10-B American Amber Ale

Size: 10.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 308.09 per 16.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.069 (1.045 – 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.017 (1.010 – 1.015)
Color: 17.0 (10.0 – 17.0)
Alcohol: 6.83% (4.5% – 6.0%)
Bitterness: 26.18 (25.0 – 40.0)

Ingredients:
2.0 oz Centennial (10.0%) – added dry to primary fermenter
2.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) – added dry to primary fermenter
2000.0 mL Starter White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Tagged with:

8 Responses to Evil Twin Red Ale on Deck

1. David Kluskiewicz says:

How did this Imperial version you created come out? Thanks for sharing your recipe.

2. Mark Ranes says:

It was an awesome ale – I need to brew it again!

All of the late hop additions make for a hoppy, west coast style red ale – and I’m all about the hops:)

Give it a shot, you won’t be disappointed!

3. David Kluskiewicz says:

We went with a kinda Rogue red clone, which unfortunately came out a little thin for my taste. It might have been due to mash temp issues, as it’s mostly in the 20s here in Connecticut.

What temp did you mash at? And, was it 1 hour, single infusion?

4. Mark Ranes says:

Yup, single infusion. My brew day notes show mash held at 151 for an hour.

I tend to put a pound of Carapils in every ale brew that doesn’t already have some wheat in it, so they tend to come out pretty chewy – in a good way:)

5. David Kluskiewicz says:

Alright, we’re making your version this Saturday, with a few substitutions – Cascade for the Amarillo and Wyeast 1056 for the WhiteLabs. Really looking forward to getting a red just right, especially after all those low-IBU winter beers.

6. Mark Ranes says:

Excellent! It should be damn near the same ale. The yeast sub is a no-brainer. The Cascades won’t bring quite the citrusy flavor of the Amarilos, but it’ll still be a lovely beer crossing your tongue:)

Good luck! Let me know how it comes out!

7. David Kluskiewicz says:

Came out great, even if we missed gravity by a few points! The Cascades worked out nicely. Too bad the keg is going to get kicked on brew day tomorrow. Many thanks for sharing the recipe.

8. Mark Ranes says:

Hey David – I’m glad it came out well for you:)

I poked around your blog a bit – nicely done. I’ll be reading regularly!

Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

%d bloggers like this: